Melinda Wenner Moyer is a contributing editor at Scientific American magazine and is a weekly contributor to The New York Times. She is a faculty member in the Science, Health & Environmental Reporting program at NYU’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute. Her first book, How To Raise Kids Who Aren’t Assholes, was published in July 2021 and won a gold medal in the 2022 Living Now Book Awards.
Melinda was the recipient of the 2022 Excellence in Science Journalism award from The Society for Personality and Social Psychology, the 2019 Bricker Award for Science Writing in Medicine, and her work was featured in the 2020 Best American Science and Nature Writing anthology. She was also awarded a 2018 Alicia Patterson Foundation fellowship. Moyer’s work has won first place prizes in the Awards for Excellence in Health Care Journalism, the Folio Eddie Awards and the Annual Writing Awards of the American Society of Journalists and Authors. It has also been shortlisted for a James Beard Journalism Award, a National Academy of Sciences Communication Award and a National Magazine Award. She has a master’s in Science, Health & Environmental Reporting from NYU and a background in cell and molecular biology. She lives in New York’s Hudson Valley with her husband, two children, and her dog.
- Melinda featured in Lifehacker’s How I Work Series: The How I Work series asks heroes, experts, and all-around productive people to share their shortcuts, workspaces, routines, and more.
- Melinda featured in The Open Notebook: Melinda Wenner Moyer Tracks Drug-Resistant Bacteria from Farm to Table
Awards & Honors
- 2022 Gold Medal winner, Living Now Book Awards
- 2022 Winner, Excellence in Science Journalism award, The Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- 2019 Winner, Bricker Award for Science Writing in Medicine
- 2019 Finalist, National Academy of Sciences Communication Award
- 2019 Winner, Outstanding Opinion Article, the American Society of Journalists and Authors’ Writing Awards
- 2018 Fellowship awardee, Alicia Patterson Foundation
- 2018 Winner, Excellence in Reporting Award, the American Society of Journalists and Authors’ Writing Awards
- 2018 Winner, June Roth Award, the American Society of Journalists and Authors’ Writing Awards
- 2017 Winner, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Media Award
- 2017 Winner, Folio Eddie award for best single article in Consumer: Science/Technology
- 2017 Winner, Awards for Excellence in Health Care Reporting
- 2017 Finalist, National Magazine Award
- 2017 Finalist, Science in Society Award from the National Association of Science Writers
- 2012 Finalist, James Beard Journalism Award
- 2012 Winner, Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology Journalism Award
- 2010 Winner, American College of Emergency Physicians Journalism of Excellence Award